Pages

"Henry Ford Model T" TPA3116D2 (Sold to Caintuck Open Baffle Speaker Company)



"You can get it in any color, as long as it is black."  

Many of the inquiries I get are from audiophiles asking what is the least expensive, while still sounding good, amplifier that I can build.  Well, here it is.  A good portion of one of my simple amplifiers costs is the volume control & aluminum chassis.  When I first started building amplifiers, I used the inexpensive Alpha brand volume pot.  This is a carbon track potentiometer.  Music reproduction is a matter of taste, but I could imagine some audiophiles, who enjoy a warmer presentation, may even prefer this volume pot over a more open and revealing Vishay stepped attenuator I use.   Unfortunately, the channel matching on these Alpha pots is inconsistent, as it can be with less expensive volume controls.  Never fear though, the flea measures each channel and promptly throws any in the garbage that have more than 1% difference between channels.  This ends up being about 25% of them.  Why is channel matching important?  Imaging and the centering of the performer in the soundstage.  (when recorded that way)
I tried less expensive plastic boxes to house my amps, but I just couldn't come to terms with the low quality look, light weight & lack of RFI & EMI shielding of the die cast aluminum boxes. 

Other features of the basic "Model T" include gold plated RCA's, five way binding posts, neoprene circuit board mounts, 3M elastomer chassis vibration isolators, teflon insulated solid core copper wire, along with shielded copper & a retro look power switch.  A 12V 5A external power supply is included, unless you would like to provide your own.  

No comments: